The Descent of the Manor of Badsworth
by John M. Watson
The parish of Badsworth is situated about 6 miles south of Pontefract in the modern metropolitan county of West Yorkshire. In the medieval period there were two manors in the parish; Badsworth and Rogerthorpe. The descent of the manor of Badsworth is obscured by the fact that at the end of twelfth century it was split into two moieties, each of which is referred to in contemporary documents as “the manor of Badsworth”. The two parts of the manor were not reunited under one owner until 1529 when they were held by Sir Peter Vavasour of Spaldington. An attempt has been made to trace the descent of these two moieties of the manor through the various families that held them between the eleventh and sixteenth centuries.
Foundations (2016) 8: 15-32 © Copyright FMG and the author